Churchill

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Friday 18 March 2011

Classical Spectacular–Farwell to the Royal Albert

Thursday, 17 March. We visited the Royal Albert Hall one LAST time.  This event was the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra’s “Classical Spectacular”. It included the Royal Choral Society (it’s not the Tabernacle Choir, but nevertheless, a very good choir), Band of the Welsh Guards, Wynne Evans (tenor) and Kevin Greenlaw (baritone). Royal Albert Mar 2011

The night was amazing. They started out with “2001 Space Odyssey”, and then it just got better and better! For the most part, the classics were favorites that everyone enjoys. Evans and Greenlaw sang arias from opera like “Funiculi, Funicula” and “Toreador’s Song” from Carmen. The night was topped off with Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture”.

I don’t think you can really enjoy “1812” until you hear and see it with cannons and muskets fired by the Moscow Militia. We were seated about 20 feet below one of the two cannons in the Royal Albert. I’ll bet the folks downrange of the cannons were a bit surprised, when missiles that looked like shooting stars, came right at them. Fortunately they had a short life and were spent harmless, just slightly before they reached the seats!

It was a patriotically touching night. The audience, with British flags waving, joined in the chorus to songs that were written when the British Empire ruled 25% of the world, and their Navy had a vital role. Songs like, Rule, Britannia!”

Rule Britannia!
Britannia rule the waves.
Britons never, never, never shall be slaves.

The audience also sang the chorus to Land of Hope and Glory (“Pomp and Circumstance”)

Land of Hope and Glory, Mother of the Free,
How shall we extol thee, who are born of thee?
Wider still and wider shall thy bounds be set;
God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet.
God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet.

Statistical studies indicate that most Britons aren’t convince that there is a God. But, as I heard the choruses of “God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet”, I felt their national pride and enthusiasm for God’s protection. It was a wonderful snapshot of my time in England, and I’ll shall never forget it. That is a tender memory, and I will hold it dear.

Gerry knew the chorus for “Land of Hope and Glory”, and I asked her how in the world she was able to sing along? Her mother played Pomp and Circumstance on the organ for Pima High graduations, and she taught Gerry the words.

I must have looked very British as I lip synced the choruses, because the lady next to me  asked, (in a very Spanish accent), “Is Rule Britannia! your national anthem.” I mustered up my best cowboy accent and said, “Shucks, I don’t think so ma'am. I think it’s God Save the Queen – at least for now. But you can’t trust me. I’m just a cowboy from Arizona.”

She turned to her friend and said, in Spanish, “I just met a cowboy from Arizona.”

It was a touching and emotional night.

No comments:

Post a Comment