Churchill

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Friday 7 January 2011

No Greater Joy

san-diego-mormon-templeFor many years, I had convinced myself that our family history had been done. We have a professional genealogist in the family named Richard Price, and thanks to him and my mother, it appeared to me that we had gone as far back as we possibly could. “It’s been done for almost 20 years,” I said, and now we’ll leave the rest to those fortunate enough to serve in the millennial reign.
When we arrived in London, we were "reminded" that we don't need to stay on a "family line", and that we could possibly find success while researching our Descendancy lines. That's when we explore the families of the aunts and uncles that married into the family. I call those relatives “The Forgotten In-laws”.  About nine months into our mission, I realized that I had spent most of my time helping others, scheduling, writing talks, and trying to put out little fires, but I had neglected my own family history research. While looking for a place to start, I noticed that the husbands and wives of my mother's aunts and uncles were known, but no other details, and the children of those families were not known. As I started to flesh out those families, I found it easy to also find the parents of those in-laws, and their children. The eventual discoveries on both of my parent’s lines, have brought great joy into my life.
In the 19th and early 20th centuries, families were large and it was common to lose three or more children. However, I found that if a couple lived long enough to be included in the 1911 Census of England and Wales, they indicated the number of children that were born, and how many had not survived. This 1911 feature has helped me find those who died between censuses.
I have discovered dozens of families, and submitted hundreds of names to the temple. Many more will be found in the future. Names that were deeply embedded - forgotten members of my family history - a history that was long ago declared “complete”.

No comments:

Post a Comment