Churchill

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Saturday 29 January 2011

Saturday Play Day

BritMuseum-Jan201129 January, Gerry and I, along with Ken and Cheryl Fugal, went sight seeing. Gerry and I have visited the British Museum multiple times, but we see great things every time we visit.
I really enjoy the Egyptian displays on two gigantic floors. If you’re into Mummies, the Brit Museum is the place for you! I also like  the Assyrian collection. Countless Greek statues and façades were saved by the British Ambassador to Greece, when he noticed that the Greeks were tearing down the “old stuff”. The Ambassador then sent the “junk” to London. Now, Greece wants it back, but London isn’t budging.
We then walked to Chipotle’s (the only one in the UK) for lunch and a Southwest fix. It never disappoints!
Harrods, or as we call it, “The Great and Spacious Building”, was next on the list, where I noted that I could buy a dog bed with a canopy, for a mere $1,000. I like Harrods’ tie collection, but $200 is a bit much for a something designed to cut off the blood to my brain and add some flash to my suit.

harrods_dadHarrods’ Egyptian Escalator feature is extensive, with displays on several floors. It features an Egyptian style statue that one would expect to be in the likeness of Pharaoh. But surprise, it’s the face of Mohamed Al-Fayed, Harrods’ owner until 2010. (Harrods is  now owned by Qatar Holdings).






Harrods_memorialAfter Princess Diana and boy friend Dodi Fayed (Mohamed’s son), were killed in a 1997 Paris car crash, Mohamed built a shrine to them in Harrods’ basement. A wine glass smudged with lipstick from Diana's last dinner and an engagement ring Dodi purchased the day before they died, are encased in an acrylic pyramid.

No comments:

Post a Comment