Churchill

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Friday 7 January 2011

Cue the Background Music

Has this ever happened to you? Has this ever happened to you? Someone says something carelessly unkind, or makes a drive-by remark with no relevant evidence. You know you're right, but because you’re a nice person, you don’t say anything, bite your tongue, and let it go. That night, when it’s bed time, you find that you didn’t “let it go”.
That happened to me this week, and I know better - that one can’t let someone else take control of one's life. We must be the ones to determine if and when we'll be happy. Nevertheless, that night, I couldn’t or wouldn’t put it down, and looked back. It's a wonder that I didn't turn into a pillar of salt, because lying in bed, I debated, and boy, I did a great job! I am so brilliant when arguing with myself.
The more points I scored in the debate, the more I argued; getting nowhere, and finding no peace. Just when I was pleading that I could get off this terrible Merry-Go-Round, along came tender mercies in the form of a familiar hymn. It softly streamed through my mind, and I found myself humming along - singing when I could remember the words. Slowly, the hymn displaced the debate. By letting it go and forgiving, I had truly won the battle.
In 1973, Elder Boyd K. Packer offered wonderful advice. He encouraged us to sing a favorite hymn when we find unworthy thoughts in our mind. It’s called “Worthy Music -- Worthy Thoughts”.

“The Law of the Garbage Truck”,  by David J. Pollay.

garbage-truck"Many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they look for a place to dump it. And if you let them, they’ll dump it on you.

 
So when someone wants to dump on you, don’t take it personally. Just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on. Believe me. You’ll be happier."

No comments:

Post a Comment